Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Interview with Johnsmith



1. When did you start singing?


JS: I was one of those kids that was always singing. I loved to rock myself in a rocker and sing, make up stuff. I always sang walking to and from school til folks started looking at me strange. When I was in High School just after the Beatles, a bunch of buddies started a garage band and needed a singer. So I volunteered. Didn't get a guitar til college.

2. What was the first tune you remember learning?

JS: On guitar the first song I learned I wrote, then I think it was a Crosby, Stills and Nash song?

3. Which musicians influenced you the most?

JS: James Taylor, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, John Prine to name a few.

4. Which famous musicians have you sung or performed with?

JS: Tim O'Brien, Darrell Scott, Pierce Pettis, Kathy Mattea

5. Who are your current favorite musicians?

JS: Darrel Scott, Patti Griffin, Mindy Smith.

6. What advice would you give to wannabe musicians?

JS: Follow your dream, be genuine.

7. How did you meet Tom Pigott?

JS: Tom owned a pub called Tim's in Limerick where I played a couple of shows about 9 years ago.

8. What kind of things do you do to keep up with your busy tour and travel schedule?

JS: I try to think "What cool places do I want to visit, and also more practical, I would like to earn x amount and need to do x amount of gigs to realize that."

9. What is the funniest thing that's ever happened to you on a tour?

JS: On one of the Ireland tours, I opened up an emergency window on a new ferry to Aran Islands and it fell into the sea. It was retrieved thankfully.

10. What is your favorite thing about Ireland?

JS: The people by far, their quick wit, poetic comments and big hearts.

Least favorite?

JS: The rain. The amount of rain.

11. What is your favorite thing about the U.S. ?

JS: The diversity on all counts, landscapes, climates, accents.

Least Favorite?

JS: Urban sprawl, especially every mall strip is the same.

12. Can you tell us something surprising about yourself.

JS: I am very yang (outgoing in the world as a performer, tour leader, song teacher, etc.) in public but am very yin (under the radar, introspective, solitary) at home.



Thank you John for inspiring our trip to Ireland, for your words and your music. We will always remember singing Safe Home with you along the enchanted way!



No comments:

Post a Comment